[opendtv] Re: Useful Life of TV Equipment

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 09:06:57 -0800

"Does anyone have any good sources as to how long modern TV technologies
are likely to be useful?" -Dan

"Define "useful."  I've got a working 1971 U-matic deck that still plays
cassettes." -Mark

"And define 'technologies'...

"And Modern..." -undisclosed

It is difficult to define "useful life" for a university.  We use things
way beyond industry standards.

When I started here at UNLV, the technology in the one studio was already
10 years old, built roughly in the early to mid 80's, some of it earlier.
I moved this old equipment into a smaller studio and installed new
equipment in 1996.  I decommissioned the older equipment in the small
studio just last year.  In 2004, a local station donated all their old
analog equipment as they went digital and I installed it in the larger
studio.  The router is an old Grass Valley Horizon from the late 80's, the
250 production switcher is from the mid 90's, the video DAs are Hedco, the
video patch panels are Trompeter and all 50 ohm.  This equipment is still
in use today but by Film Studies.

Just months ago, we finished a full HD-SDI based TV and Livewire based
radio production facility.  Equipment examples include Axia equipment for
radio and Avid ISIS, iNews, Media Composer Nitris DX, Sony MVS-6000,
HDC1400R, Avocent IP based KVM for everything, Harris terminal gear, and
much more for TV, all based on 1.5 Gb/s, 1280x720p@xxxxxxxxx  We only
carried over two BetaSP decks and two waveform monitors from the old
facility to integrate with this new equipment, and only to bring in older
material if needed.  Of course, the list goes on to the tune of $5.6M worth
of actual equipment (without integration and contract expenses.

So now the bean counters need to depreciate it.  I gave them some estimates
as to the number of years they would be useful in a normal setting based on
my opinion and experience:

Software (all): 1 year (while software often can remain functional longer,
updated versions are released at least annually)
Computer/server operating systems (software):  5
Computer hardware (low end) and all peripherals:  3
Computer hardware, high-performance: 6
Servers (hardware): 6

Networking technologies (routers): 10
Networking infrastructure, copper (patching, cabling): 15
Networking infrastructure, fiber: 25
Storage technologies (SAN, NAS): 5

Radio technologies (equipment and control surfaces): 7
Audio transducers (microphones, speakers, etc.) and accessories: 10

Still Cameras, lenses and accessories, Digital: 5
Video cameras and tripods, Electronic News Gathering (ENG, field): 5
Video equipment and accessories, Electronic Field Production (EFP): 3

Video cameras, studio:  12
Video production equipment/technologies, studio: 12

Terminal Gear (signal routers, waveform monitors, distribution amplifiers,
etc.), Studio: 12
Control surfaces, Studio (control panels at user): 7
Monitoring equipment (video monitors, multi-source generators, etc.): 5

Specialized furniture (consoles, cubicles): 15
Equipment racks and trays: 20
Fixtures: 15

That doesn't mean that it won't be put to use longer.  And I think I am
estimating to the long side.  If this were a real TV station, I think it
will turned over quicker to keep the media looking modern.

Of course, the bean counters need more than just my opinion.  They asked me
if I know of any industry standard documents.  I do not and was hoping
someone here who handle large studios might have some guidelines they can
point me to.

Any ideas?

Dan