[opendtv] Re: Wha' Happened to the FCC?

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 09:58:37 -0500

Inline...

On 3/3/2010 9:02 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
I used to believe that too. Part of what you say is certinly true, like the power mains part (unless you buy one of the rare battery powered DTVs), but it all depends how the new DTV stations decide to reinvent themselves.

This past nasty, ugly, annoying winter has made me appreciate what the TV weather subchannels CAN do, if they put their mind to it. Channel 7-2, from the ABC affiliate here, has 24/7 weather from something called "accuweather" as well as from the local meteorologist Doug Hill. So it shows the latest local and national weather always. They show all the needed graphics, including radar loops and 5-day (or 7-day?) forecasts, the type of info that is simply not available over radio.

In tornado weather, they give precise locations and motion of the tornados, on a map.

I get all of this in real time on my iPhone. Historically the cellular network seems to hold up better than the big sticks; the towers are less vulnerable and there are thousands of them. Cellular was the primary source of news and for emergency communications after the earthquake in Haiti.
When everybody picks up their iPhone, the network dies. Never 'congestion' with a Broadcast model of 'pushing' the most watched/requested materials.

Cellular was the means that the news got out of the country. Most Americans learned of the tragedy by means of Broadcast News coming through local markets.

Still, I agree that weather channels are a useful addition to a broadcast multiplex. Redundancy is a good thing.

Only WJLA has evolved the service to this level, in DC, so far. It seems more up to date than even Intellicast on the web. Or at least, the analysis is more up to date, if not the actual radar image. You watch for a few minutes and get a good idea of what's about to happen weather-wise.

On the paying for spectrum angle, I get the distinct impression that those who are addicted to subscription services would be just as happy if everyone else felt their pain too. Heh heh.

We are feeling unnecessary pain - having to pay subscriber fees for channels we don't watch. Unfortunately this now includes broadcasters who are getting their spectrum virtually for free, but now demand that we pay subscriber fees too - thanks to a government gun to our heads called retransmission consent.
But people DO WATCH local channels. Big difference.

But this undesirable business model is starting to fail thanks to competition and the sheer weight of the abuse.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the conglomerates suck most of the retrans money out of their broadcast affiliates as their final act of vampirism.

The consensus on the list seems to be that the conglomerates do not need broadcasters any more.
That understanding is based on bravado.

The question that only the public can answer, is whether localism is sufficient to support broadcast TV.

A case in point. Our local NYT newspaper is competing rather effectively against the local TV station that does news (we only have one local station that does a credible job with news). A week ago Sunday the paper ran a print story on our Brewery. They also shot a nice video, which is available on demand on their website. We've heard nothing from the TV station...

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100221/ARTICLES/100219315/1003/NEWS?p=1&tc=pg

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology
Sinclair Broadcast Group
===================================
(410) 568-1535 OFFICE
(443) 677-4425 MOBILE
===================================
"Let us have faith that right makes might,
and that in faith, let us,to the end,
dare to do our duty as we understand it."
<>   ~ Abraham Lincoln ~   <><

"We cannot truly face life until we face
the fact that it will be taken away from us."
<>   ~ Billy Graham ~   <><

"We must accept finite disappointment,
but we must never lose infinite hope."
<>   ~ Martin Luther King, Jr. ~   <><

"If a trend cannot continue,it will stop."
<>   ~ Herbert Stein ~   <><

begin:vcard
fn:Mark A. Aitken
n:Aitken;Mark A.
org:Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.;Engineering & Operations
adr:;;10706 Beaver Dam Road;Cockeysville;MD;21030;USA
email;internet:maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Director of Advanced Technology
tel;work:(410) 568-1535
tel;fax:(410) 568-1580