[opendtv] "Unfairness" Alert!

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:18:01 -0800

Last Thursday found me leaving the office of a former OpenDTV member at one of
the networks and walking to the offices of an OpenDTV lurker at CBS's Broadcast
Center.
I had already read the Wall Street Journal and the NY Times, but noticed that
there was no Village Voice at the newstands.  The last time I found one in
Southern California, it cost me $1.25.

Then, I noticed several bundles of VVs on the sidewalk on West 57th, and I
realized that the Voice does in print what Craig
Birkmaier says is immoral for broadcasters to do with their electrons:  giving
them away for free in one market (over the air) and wanting money in another
market (cable.)

And, last time I checked, the Voice uses not only the streets of New York for
this travesty of unfairness, but actually uses the airwaves (the area above the
sidewalks; okay, maybe it's airways) for this unfair distribution pattern.

Come to think of it, the San Diego Reader, the Chicago Reader, the LA Weekly,
New Times (phoenix, et al) all have this similar disctibution pattern: free in
their home markets, yet they charge money to mail the copies to out-of-towners
who don't want to visit the home market(s) of the publications every week to
get a fresh edition.

Oh, the unfairness of it all!  Here's another windmill that just is asking for
tilting!

John (trying to recover from the cold temperatures) Willkie