[opendtv] Re: UK OTA Doing Well

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:08:21 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It is not the umbilical services that have prevented competition
> in the U.S.
>
> It would be more accurate to say that the umbilical services are
> in lock step with the media conglomerates that now own 90% of
> everything we watch, INCLUDING the broadcast networks.

Sorry, but the reality is, I have to choose which broadcaster's content
I watch at any give time. But cable subscribers don't get to choose
which cable company they use when they watch. Which means, the
broadcasters compete, the cable companies? Only sort of. They are
starting to compete against the telcos, I suppose.

Granted, subscribers can choose to say "no," in which case that law suit
you seem to be so happy about is totally with no basis. I hope those
clients "injured" by the expanded basic tier heal soon.

> It is refreshing to see the class action suit that is being
> brought against the media conglomerates and the umbilical services
> which are operating as a trust to extract billions in additional
> revenues from U.S. TV viewers, while they operate (highly
> profitably) in other global markets WITHOUT these additional
> revenues.

This country is all about businesses trying to find suckers. The crime
is not in that at all. The crime is only that it's so easy to find said
suckers.

For example, this lawsuit is all about lawyers looking to make each
other rich. Gimme a break.