[opendtv] Re: Two-way plug and play on the way

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 07:19:21 -0500

At 10:23 AM -0600 1/8/05, Doug McDonald wrote:

>But he is clearly right in that the prices are dropping sharply.

Dropping...YES.

Sharply...I'm not so sure.

>In any case, the price differential for the part cost
>for DVB-T vs STSC is now $3.50. Yes, most DVB-T countries
>are saddled with an SD-only system that costs less ...
>but so what? We know that STBs now sell, RETAIL,
>for $199. So built inside a TV, the cost is going
>to be, even retail, even less. No box, no power
>supply, the RF section already is covered, if the
>set has DVI the digital-analog part is already covered,
>etc., etc.

We shall see. The problem still remains that consumers are not buying
integrated sets in any significant volume. This may change as we move
forward because of the tuner mandates; then again, we may just see
MANY more monitors.

Virtually all of the major announcements from CES related to new STB
designs, NOT integrated designs. The Tivo HD Cable ready box is a
good example, not to mention all of the new boxes from the DBS
services. IF you are going to subscribe to DBS, you DO NOT want an
integrated set. And if you subscribe to cable and want a PVR, you are
either going to rent a box from the cable company or buy a box like
the Tivo, as most integrated sets do not offer a PVR option.

The other major trend at CES is the ability to share signals between
multiple displays. An integrated receiver is mostly useless if you
are getiing content from a gateway in the home.

As I say...
Time will tell.