[opendtv] The meaning of iPod

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:50:02 -0400

RATIONAL CONSUMER
The meaning of iPod

Jun 10th 2004
From The Economist print edition

Consumer electronics: How Apple's iPod music-player and its imitators
are changing the way music is consumed

WHAT is the meaning of iPod? When Apple, a computer-maker, launched
its pocket-sized music-player in October 2001, there was no shortage
of sceptical answers. Critics pointed to its high price-at $399, the
iPod cost far more than rival music players-and to the difficulty
Apple would have competing in the cut-throat consumer-electronics
market. Worse, Apple launched the iPod in the depths of a technology
slump. Internet discussion boards buzzed with jokes that its name
stood for "idiots price our devices" or "I prefer old-fashioned
discs."

Such criticisms were quickly proven wrong. The iPod is now the most
popular and fashionable digital music-player on the market, which
Apple leads (see chart). Apple has been unable to meet demand for the
latest model, the iPod mini. On the streets and underground trains of
New York, San Francisco and London, iPod users (identifiable by the
device's characteristic white headphone leads) are ubiquitous.
Fashion houses make iPod cases; pop stars wear iPods in their videos.
The iPod is a hit.

http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?Story_id=2724432

http://www.economist.com/images/20040612/CTQ793.gif