[opendtv] Re: The 7% solution

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:40:27 -0400

 Let's turn the Network Effect upside down. For decades, we have been
 told about the critical 7% market share threshold for CE products;
 the point at which the Network Effect kicks in and the masses adopt
 the new product/technology.

 Is there a reverse network effect? Does a mass market product DIE
 when 7% or less of consumers use it?

So, what has fallen to a 7 percent level?

From the story I posted about the Wilmington switch over:

Glitches Come to Light in Wilmington

TVNEWSDAY, Sep 9 2008, 8:39 AM ET

Wilmington is the nation's 135th largest TV market with about 180,000 TV households. Between 13,000 and 15,000 had relied solely on analog broadcasting.

Do the math Bert. This places the OTA audience in Wilmington at something between 7% and 8%...