[opendtv] Re: TVNZ to launch HD on Freeview DTT in 2008

  • From: Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:55:34 -0400

Barry Wilkins wrote:

> Also, contrary to comments from far flung places,

Hmmm. I'm trying to figure out whether the UK qualifies as more "far flung"
than NZ. I puzzle that one out and let you know.

> Why they could not have deduced earlier, from the
> propagation characteristics, what the likely outcome for
> say Wellington (all bush clad steep hills and dales) will be,
> is a mystery. Perhaps you could do it with enough SFNs
> but it may be uneconomic.

SFNs might not be the lowest cost approach. IMO, a cheaper way to do this might
be to place two or three towers on tall hilltops, at widely different azimuths
from downtown, in a network of translators. I don't see how NZ could possibly
have a problem with spectrum availability, being the "far flung" island it is.
So there should be no reason to deal with the downsides of SFNs.