[opendtv] Re: TVNZ to launch HD on Freeview DTT in 2008

  • From: Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:39:14 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> What they are really saying is that the DVB-S receivers used
> to receive DTH Freeview NZ do not have HD decode
> capability built in, and apparently there are no plans to build
> new ones.

Another example of confused trade journal scribes?

With the French and UK HDTV DTT trials having gone to H.264 compression for
their HD streams, some journalists have evidently concluded that H.264 is
mandatory for HD. So they assumed that if the NZ DBS system uses MPEG-2
compression, by definition it won't be capable of HDTV.

As we all know, that's not the case. Not even for satellite. Although they do
need MP at HL, and they probably don't offer that.