[opendtv] Re: TV tablets will see major growth, says Ericsson

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 07:22:49 -0400

At 4:44 PM -0400 8/27/10, Mark Schubin wrote:
Interesting. Tablets used as TVs and also as TV remotes.
They've had that in Emirates business class seats for years.

Tablets that can be removed, or touch screen panels that access content from a server on the plane?

Using a tablet as the TV remote, or for Internet browsing and game playing on the big screen in the family room is a very recent phenomenon. I expect there will be some major announcements related to this at the Apple event Wednesday.

The analysts are predicting a $99 Apple TV device; it will be interesting to see how Apple deals with the user interface. I'm betting that you will be able to use a iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch as a remote, and most likely the new Bluetooth Magic Trackpad.

Also expected are 99 cent TV show rentals without ads. I would expect that it will be possible to move these shows to any iOS device for place shifting.