[opendtv] TANDBERG launch MPEG-2 Broadcast Encoder

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:47:36 -0400

Here's something for those who think MPEG-2 coding efficiency was maxed
out for all time.

I like the way they had to throw in "carbon footprint," as the catch-all
phrase du jour that proves virtuosity.

Bert

---------------------------------
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3344

TANDBERG launch MPEG-2 Broadcast Encoder

Links:
www.tandbergtv.com

TANDBERG Television has unveiled its new EN8100 MPEG-2 SD encoder at NAB
2009.

The TANDBERG EN8100 is a next generation MPEG-2 encoder, based on
in-house developed technologies and encoding algorithms. TANDBERG said
that is delivers encoding performance in a high density, low power (6
channels in 1 RU) chassis and cuts MPEG-2 SD bandwidth requirements by
at least 15%.

According to Tandberg, the device enables operators to achieve higher
picture quality in the same bitrate, allowing SD MPEG-2 to look
acceptable on large flat panel TVs.

Roger Bolton, EVP of compression systems at TANDBERG Television said:
"This is the biggest improvement to MPEG-2 in five years. We have seized
the opportunity to develop the best MPEG-2 encoder in the world today
and to help our customers' lower costs, reduce their carbon footprints
and continue to introduce new services that drive increased revenues.
That's a very compelling combination in these tough times and it's not a
great surprise that we've received a very enthusiastic response from our
customers, securing a number of significant pre-launch orders,"

DTG Staff 17.04.2009