[opendtv] Re: Steel pipes for gas!

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:04:21 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

I think that it's very much simpler to find a steel gas line using simple
technology than to find a plastic gas line.

John has a point about steel being more rigid than plastic (I was wondering
when that would come up), but it depends on the nature of the threat.  Having
been through more than a few earthquakes (but never severly affected), I think
I like rigid. If a fissure opens in your front yard, I don't think it matters
much the form of the gas pipe.  Fissures in front yards are somewhat rare.

As to steel corrosion, that is a factor of the conductivity of the soil and
other soil conditions like moisture content.  The steel water mains that were
laid in San Diego in the late 1880's and early 1900's generally have 30-50 life
spans.  We have thousands of miles of them, and they do give from time to time,
a problem that the city identified in the late 1970's, but has ignored.
Instead of replacing many, they just repair the many breaches.  Some sections
of pipe, with good drainage, appear to last for more than 100 years.  Others,
with bad drainage, seem to burst all the time.  The city stopped permitting
steel and iron water mains about 50 years ago.

Last I heard, all new water mains were AC (asbestos concrete) with 75-100 year
life spans.  That's probably been changed in the last few decades.

The real advantage of steel gas mains for broadband is the lack of a need to
coordinate frequency usage.  Think of cable with a bigger shield.

John