[opendtv] Re: Start a New Pool about How Bad the Transition Will Be

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 09:39:45 -0400

We're putting the horse before the cart here. The most important pool bet is whether the 2009 date will stick. But I think Mark Schubin started a poll on this a decade ago or perhaps even earlier.

Politicians posturing and whining after the cut-off date won't get much traction. It would not surprise me if this were to become an issue in the 2008 elections...

"That dirty wrascal wants to turn off your TV!"

Maybe we should start handing out the NTIA set-top box coupons at the border - it could be part of a new "Welcome Wagon" program helping new "residents" deal with Z -visas, etc...

At 5:43 PM -0400 6/29/07, Stephen W. Long wrote:
I propose a new pool.  Does anyone want to guess just how bad the day AFTER
the transition will be?  Will anyone even notice (one end of the spectrum),
to the other end - politicians talking on the radio (TV not working after
all), about the travesty of all those seniors and poor Americans that no
longer have TV.