[opendtv] Re: Speaking of business models

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:48:55 -0400

Are they on before or after their broadcast presentations? If so, then it's obvious that any additional revenue beyond the network airing from the from the program is a bonus. You could also ask how they can offer an entire season on DVD for only $30-50 and pay for the program. The answer is they can't. The DVD sales are supplemental to the original broadcast performance.

Also, it's been quite a while since I've been in commercial broadcast, so I don't know how much time there is in prime, but in most network programming there are places for national advertising, and places for the local station to insert used car ads. Maybe you're just seeing the national ads, and the local avail slots have been edited out entirely?

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

If ABC and CBS can make full length episodes (sub SD quality) available
online with perhaps four 30-second commercials, is this because there's
other advertizing on the web site? Or is it just an experiment, and they
don't really expect this medium to pay for itself?