[opendtv] Sky to acquire Virgin Media channels

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 17:54:40 -0500

How strange. They have achieved the same MVPD reality in the UK as it has been
here, although it seems to be the MVPDs themselves, rather than media congloms,
that hold all the cards?

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3783

Sky to acquire Virgin Media channels

Virgin Media has confirmed it will be selling its TV channels to Sky for up to
£160 million in cash.

The companies have entered new carriage agreements which will secure wholesale
distribution of Sky's basic channel line-up, including Sky1 and Sky Arts, and
the newly acquired Virgin Media TV (VMtv) channels including Living, Challenge
and Bravo, on Virgin's TV service.

Virgin Media will, for the first time, have the option of carrying any of Sky's
basic HD channels, Sky Sports HD 1 and Sky Sports HD 2, and all Sky Movies HD
channels on the service. Sky TV content, including the newly acquired VMtv
channels, will also be available on Virgin's on-demand TV service.

Completion of the agreements is conditional on the companies obtaining merger
control clearance in the Republic of Ireland.

Neil Berkett, CEO, Virgin Media, said: "The sale of our channels business has
generated substantial value. Together with the new commercial agreements we've
announced today, it will allow us to focus more closely on our strategy of
exploiting Virgin Media's super-fast connectivity to offer our customers a
range of the very best content through a highly versatile next generation
entertainment application."

Jeremy Darroch, CEO, BSkyB, said: "VMtv is an attractive investment opportunity
which complements our existing content business and delivers strategic and
financial benefits. We are pleased that, through commercial negotiation, we
have been able to ensure wide distribution of our channels to a growing pay TV
universe."

DTG Staff 04.06.2010