[opendtv] Re: Samsung new DTB-H260F at Circuit City

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 15:25:39 -0800

A better picture was posted today.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=67532

The DTB-H260F uses an ATI (AMD) Xilleon 240H.
This chip integrates an MPEG-2 decoder, MIPS
processor /and ATSC/QAM demod in a single package/.
To reduce the BOM, Samsung is not using their own
seperate demod chip.

Ron

Ron Economos wrote:

The ATI chip is an MPEG-2 decoder and MIPS processor.
I don't see the 8-VSB/QAM demodulator chip. It's either inside
the tuner can or on the other side of the board.

Ron

Tom Barry wrote:

Also, can anybody make any sense out of this picture of inside the box?
<http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=67435>

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/categorylist.do?catOid=-15607&N=20012866+
20015607&c=1

The link is impossibly long, but Circuit City's web site dropped all the previous HDTV STBs and now only lists the new Samsung DTB-H260F. This is
the one that I believe is based on the Gemini chip, and has the
full-featured timer in it, to make it well suited for use with a DVDR.

The price is $179.99. Not bad, considering that some Circtui City stores
are still selling the Digital Stream at $229.

Our closest store didn't have any in stock. Then again, the item just
appeared on the web site.

Of course, the salesman had no clue this item even existed. I had to
show him on their web site. For HDTV, you have to go to DBS or cable,
don't you know?