[opendtv] Re: Samsung new DTB-H260F at Circuit City

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 19:18:48 -0500

Some user discussions on this box at AVS:

<http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=728392&highlight=DTBH260F>

---------quote----------
That review talked me into buying it. I've got a bunch of tuners here, but wanted one with a 5th gen LG chip that doesn't require you to put in zip codes/channel scans and subscription to get stations (like the DirecTV receiver does) and doesn't require a computer (like the Fusion does.)

When I got the Samsung home, I compared with those two receivers and an Accurian and RCA ATSC11 receiver. I hooked all of them to the same antenna lead with the antenna in the same direction, checking signal on one, then hooking up to another receiver on three different fringe stations using a Zenith Silver Sensor.

With this test, the RCA was slightly better than the new Samsung. The Accurian was about the same as the Samsung. The RCA and Accurian aren't bad receivers by any stretch, but the Samsung was disappointing given the hype.

If the Samsung has the 5th gen LG chip, they've done something to make it not work as well as other receivers with that chip IMHO.
--------/quote-------------

Also a (slightly better) Peter Putnam review at HDTVExpert
<http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/h260f.html>

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/categorylist.do?catOid=-15607&N=20012866+
20015607&c=1

The link is impossibly long, but Circuit City's web site dropped all the
previous HDTV STBs and now only lists the new Samsung DTB-H260F. This is
the one that I believe is based on the Gemini chip, and has the
full-featured timer in it, to make it well suited for use with a DVDR.

The price is $179.99. Not bad, considering that some Circtui City stores
are still selling the Digital Stream at $229.

Our closest store didn't have any in stock. Then again, the item just
appeared on the web site.

Of course, the salesman had no clue this item even existed. I had to
show him on their web site. For HDTV, you have to go to DBS or cable,
don't you know?

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com