[opendtv] Re: SINCLAIR TO AIR "A POW STORY: POLITICS, PRESSURE AND THE MEDIA"

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:56:30 -0400

Overall a good analysis Bert, but I need to call you on the
scientific research issue.

>The Republican party seems to have been highjacked
>by the religious right? Republicans finding themselves
>opposing scientific research on religious/moral
>grounds? When did this happen? Or using human rights
>arguments to justify an invasion? That's a strange
>indeed. What happened to the undercurrent of
>isolationism the Republicans have always been known
>for?

Yes there are some in the religious right who oppose ANY form of
embryonic stem cell research, but this is certainly not
representative of the views of the current administration or most
republicans I know. This is the FIRST administration to authorize the
use of federal research funds for embryonic stem cell research; they
justified this based on the existence of a significant number of
lines of stem cells already in use.

There is no ban on private funding for ANY form of stem cell
research, and I am not aware of any legislation to make this illegal.
So the only thing at play here is the decision to use more federal
money to open up more lines of embryonic stem cells for government
funded research. Given the scientific REALITY that other sources of
stem cells are proving to have more potential, I see no reason why
the government should spend even more money until there is some
scientific evidence that this is a useful avenue for further research.

>This is the weirdest election I've seen, certainly.
>And it's even more strange to hear Democracts and
>Republicans debate their inconsistent views so
>vehemently.

It's the ultimate in Reality TV Bert.