[opendtv] Re: Recovery based on CE

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:55:52 -0400

Eory Frank wrote:

> Let's see how consumers
> respond to the "DTV tuner tax" -- not this year, when we're
> talking HDTV sets -- but in 1-2 years when Aunt Millie goes
> to buy a regular TV at Wal-Mart, and learns the real cost of
> "free" off-air TV. She will most likely also learn a new word
> -- "monitor" -- the thing she will be willing to pay for, to
> plug into her satellite or cable set-top box.

Except you forgot that she will learn that even the cable or
satellite STBs aren't needed. Only an integrated receiver, with
smart card, allowing her to put that vase of flowers over her
TV set again, like in the good old days.

So indeed, the large quantities will soon make the price premium
for the integrated receiver erode. And, just as with the old
Sony Profeel, no one will want that gutless monitor anymore.