[opendtv] Re: Reception in major centers

  • From: John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:03:50 -0500

Any ATSC DTV receiver, or one of the PC DTV boards will work fine.  If
you're interested in a stand-alone set-top box, there are plenty of
refurbished units available on eBay, or you could pop across the border
and pick up one of the USDTV units at a Wal-Mart store.  Either way,
going rate is about $200US.  If you're interested in a PC card, ATI has
a nice product, but they don't distribute it in Canada.  However, there
is at least one dealer that I know of that imports them for the US and
stocks them.  If memory serves, they retail for about $235CDN.

For ExpressVu, you could just buy and install a 2nd dish and shuttle
the receiver back and forth.  Or just buy a 2nd receiver too and add it
to your existing account.