[opendtv] Re: People DO watch LPTV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:26:10 -0400

I don't function on pure hype, Craig. Yes, the POTENTIAL may be there
for future improvements, but in the case of the BBC, the French TNT, and
now the New Zealand system, the facts are clear. The way they fill their
multiplexes with H.264 traffic is no different from the way MPEG-2
systems fill their multiplexes. Rather than debate this with vacuous
words, SHOW ME where I'm wrong.

Real world efficiency gains are already in the 20-30% range and sometimes higher. Harmonic introduced a next generation encoder last year that was 20% more efficient than their first generation box. We can expect much more news on this front at NAB.

As for the Europeans, they actually care about picture quality. Their typical SD channel runs at 4 - 5.5 Mbps while the average here in the states is about 2-3 Mbps (DTV broadcasters may offer a bit more if they are not carrying an HD program. The Europeans have already done studies with h.264, which we have discussed on this list. The EBU study demonstrated the quality improvement possible with h.264 and noted that 720@50 was the most efficient way to deliver the highest quality video at the bit rates they need for a viable deployment in Europe. It IS true that they are provisioning their HD services with bit rates that are high compared to the U.S. What you fail to see is that they ALSO enjoy significantly better image quality.

No, I completely disagree. What you are advocating is an unnecessary
transition shortly after the new system in deployed, which is always a
bad thing. In the UK, they have no HDTV over DTT, and Ofcom is making it
very difficult to get this HDTV transition going. It's very simple. In
New Zealand, they will avoid this unnecessary painful step and start out
right.

The early SD DTV deployments in Europe will be a decade old by the time they begin to transition to HD in earnest. Not a bad deal for an investment of about $40 in a STB.

Ofcom is not making it difficult to get the HD transition going in the U.K. They are simply saying make do with what you've got. And even this could change if the UK broadcasters improve their case a bit.

We agree that countries that waited can now reap the rewards by leap froging first generation systems like those in the UK and the US.

 Can you quantify the MUCH higher cost for a STB that supports
 h.264.

I don't have to, they already did. Their boxes started at $500. But the
prices will come down fast. Something you were unable to predict for us
a few years ago, even while the prices were dropping.

Barry indicated that the price had already dropped to $399 in New Zealand. That's about $315 US.

By comparison, a Tivo HD capable DVR - (MPEG-2 only) sells for about the same price. You can get a DirecTV HD DVR for $99 WITH h.264 support, but this product is obviously subsidized.

The important point is that the cost delta for supporting h.264 is now less than $10 at the component cost level. Now all that is needed is volume, which will be driven by DBS, Internet download Blu Ray, and eventually cable in the U.S. and new deployments like New Zealand.

Of greater importance, h.264 is rapidly replacing other codecs in the hand held and Internet space.