[opendtv] Re: PAL

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 11:13:12 -0500

As best I am aware, there is no such standard as NTSC-N.

There is a standard called System N. It has 625-line/25-fps video in a 4.2-MHz bandwidth in a 6-MHz channel. Its parameters are the same as for System M, except that System M uses 525-line/30-fps video. In theory, western-hemisphere countries should have only 6-MHz channels, though there are a handful of French and formerly French areas with wider channels.

There is a specific form of PAL that was standardized for System M. It is used only in Brazil. There is a specific form of PAL that was standardized for System N. It is used in a few South American countries.

There was never, to my knowledge, a specific form of NTSC that was ever standardized for System N. I can find no such information in ITU documents. Nevertheless, as I noted in a previous message, Barbados did broadcast a version of NTSC color on System N based on a one-time modification of a sync generator that they requested from Tektronix. There was no standardization involved, simply a customer (the Caribbean Broadcasting Corporation) asking a vendor to modify a product.

There are a handful of web sites that say Bolivia is NTSC-N. Most say it is NTSC-M. At least one says it is both.

Here's the problem (and the reason Barbados switched from NTSC on System N to NTSC-M). What production equipment do you use? Where do you get your imported programming?

Barbados, a country of largely dark-skinned people, was broadcasting "The Brady Bunch," a show full of light-skinned, blonde, blue-eyed people, simply because it was available on 16-mm film. The film could be run through their telecine, operating at 625-line/25-fps with NTSC color. 35-mm film was too heavy to ship. No videotape recorded anywhere else in the world would play in their facility (and they couldn't really even get color playback themselves). Standards conversion for live events was accomplished by aiming a camera of their rigged-up system at a monitor of the incoming standard.

Anyone have any definitive information on Bolivia?

TTFN,
Mark

negrjp wrote:
Dear Mark,

I don't know of the details of standard NTSC-N.

I believe that I read something relative in bulletins it IEEE or UIT.

Really, an "orphan pattern"!

Something very curious to be forgotten.

[s]
Jonas

negrjp wrote:
In Europe, NATO military bases uses NTSC 625 line system.
Are you sure about that? Could you point to any equipment they might use for playback?

There WAS, briefly, a 625-line NTSC system broadcast in Barbados. It used a sync generator made by special order for them. They later changed to NTSC-M.

TTFN,
Mark