[opendtv] Re: PAL

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:35:12 -0500

Al Limberg wrote:

> The problem PAL was designed to overcome was the problems
> with piping composite video over telephone lines.

Maybe we're talking about the same thing, but I thought it was meant to
solve the problem of colors shifting in receivers as a result of phase
distortion in transmission? The striking difference between PAL and
NTSC, to me, was always the much more natural colors, especially flesh
tones, in PAL. I remember that over here, you had to readjust the color
for every station, just about, in the late '60s. Whereas with PAL, there
was no adjustment at all. No knob.