[opendtv] Re: One Percent of US households

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:26:58 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> I have probably 10 or more OTA STB's. I have a couple of
> plasmas and a couple of LCDs all of which are integrated
> sets. And I have a couple of projectors, a Sony and an
> Optoma. I have never hooked up any of these to an antenna
> in more than a year.

Good for you, Bob.

On the other hand, I have two STBs that feed TVs, a VCR (upstairs), and
a DVDR (downstairs), and they both get used all the time to watch OTA
TV. Will be getting an ATSC PVR for Christmas.

I have one neighbor that I know of who also uses OTA exclusively, and
also a colleague at work who uses DTT exclusively. I have two other
neighbors with combination DBS and OTA. I have a colleague at work who
uses combination cable and OTA, where he gets HD exclusively via OTA. I
have a nephew who uses SDTV DTT exclusively. So what does any of this
prove?

There's no reason to insist on pathological negativism just because you
happen to do something one way. The stats you quoted were only meant to
convey to what extent HDTV usage has increased in the past year. They
say nothing at all about DTT usage or migration from OTA NTSC to OTA
DTV. I honestly don't understand the thrill people get with gratuitous
negativism.