[opendtv] Re: Ofcom outlines stance on Sky's DTT plans

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:27:24 -0800

No, this is just another in a long line of you being confused about
something quite simple that has been discussed and explained on this list
numerous times by many knowledgeable people, including myself.

There are no MPEG-4 transport streams.  There are no MPEG-1 transport
streams.  There are only MPEG-2 transport streams, and they are the basis of
SCTE, ATSC, DVB, ISDB and other forms of digital broadcasting.

The article mentioned MPEG-4 coding.  This is shorthand for MPEG-4 codecs or
MPEG-4 compression layer processing.

There are several forms of compression layer coding that can be present in
MPEG-2 transport streams.  There is MPEG-2 part 2 compression, MPEG-2 part
10 compression, (in certain circumstances) MPEG-1 compression, and at least
in theory, MPEG-4/H.264/AVC and VC-1 compression layer processing.  There
are possibly others, and there will be more in the future.

Hope this helps.  But, judging by history, I doubt it will.