[opendtv] Re: News: Single-frequency network proposed for over-the-air transmission in New York City

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 13:31:19 -0400

Actually, not sure there is any loss of efficiency due to the use of A-VSB. Being that there are a number of tools, if one just uses the DTR (Deterministic Trellis Rest) with the other enablers for SFN (which are about synchronization, no addition bits that I know of), where is the penalty? What are the compatibility issues?

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Al Limberg wrote:

The system uses Samsung's A-VSB I am told.

Ooops. So the press hype neglected to mention that there would be a
spectral efficiency penalty for using this scheme? And that not all
receivers would be compatible?

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><

===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
===================================
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
HTML PAGE: 4436774425@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net

"If you listen to all the people saying
why you shouldn't, or can't, do something,
you'll never do anything."

------ Edward Whitacre Jr. --------
"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."