[opendtv] Re: News: Reps. Barton, Stearns Offer Alternative DTV Bill

  • From: Larry Bloomfield <Larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:19:35 -0800

Albert: & John Shutt:

About ten years ago when I lived and worked in Silicon Valley, I saw a Statistically Multiplexed system at a French owned company. they were running twelve channels of video of comparable quality to anything on the air in analog. It was rather impressive, to say the least. I don't recall the name of that company, but there was also an Asian company near there that was running six channels, one of which was reported to be in hi def. I only spoke to the principals there, but never saw it in action.

*Larry Bloomfield, KA6UTC*
1980 25th St.
Florence, OR 97439
(541) 902-2424 (everything number)
*www.Tech-Notes.TV <http://www.Tech-Notes.TV>*
See you on the Taste of NAB Road Show

John Shutt wrote:
Statistical Multiplexing.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

The French TNT has created a 3-stream HD multiplex using H.264, which
gives 8 Mb/s avg to each HD stream. Can these in fact be reduced to 5.5
Mb/s? Well, PERHAPS, but then again, 720p MPEG-2 can also be reduced to
around 6 Mb/s. So we can play this game forever.