[opendtv] Re: News: Independent Networks, ACA Speak Out Against Program Tying

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 19:37:08 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> So Both the congloms and the cable companies were able to
> increase their reach into our pockets, without any
> complaints from the regulators.

> Should I also accept never ending tax increases and more
> and more onerous regulation.

If you are demaning more onerous regulation, you can't at the same time
oppose it. The vast majority of consumers find these prices perfectly
fine. Economics 101 says the cable companies are doing something right.

>> The situation now, with Verizon and AT&T competing with
>> cable, has not changed much. They all pretty much charge the
>> same rates, for similar services, similarly bundling programs
>> in tiers. There isn't that much competition. Maybe WiMAX will
>> change matters, we'll see.
>
> EXACTLY. Why change the business model when everybody is
> making oligopoly profits?

Maybe you figured it out, then.

The reason DBS doesn't change the picture is that DBS can't offer the
other services cable now offers, like telephone and broadband access.
And I doubt a lot of the public wants multiple cable companies tearing
up their neighborhoods at the drop of a hat.

WiMAX, which is nothing but a warmed over MMDS service, could possibly
increase competition here, although for whatever reason, it did not
succeed at all in the past.

> Congress is not an agency, but there are many members of
> Congress calling for ala carte. But it takes a majority to
> legislate this change. The FCC has no authority to force
> this to happen

If Congress wanted this to happen, it would be as a result of their
constituents screaming for it. And then Congress would have the FCC draw
up the rules, just as the FCC does with any other comms-related activity
(like the telcos).

So however you slice it, Craig, what you want to force down everyone's
throat would include FCC regulation.

> So the real issue is that there are many more people driving
> many more cars, not the mileage that those cars get, which
> has been increasing over the same time period. In 1980 the
> average mileage for all passenger vehicles was 13.3 mpg; in
> 2004 it was 17.1 mpg - and this includes all of those gas
> guzzling SUVs.

Car and Driver's figures were different. However, be that as it may, the
average fuel economy imposed on cars has been 27.5 mpg for a long time,
so a figure of 17.1 now is ludicrous.

Point being, failing govt regulation, the public vote with their
wallets. And the public has voted for ridiculous waste in energy, as
they have voted for bundling of programs in their favorite MVPD.

You seem to think that allowing more drilling off our coasts would be
the answer. Maybe you also think that allowing multiple cable companies
access to every neighborhood would also be the best answer.