[opendtv] Re: Ofcom's proposed spectrum option

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 19:06:17 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> At any rate, the question one should ask is why the
> government allows this level of consolidation.

Do I detect a desire on your part for govt regulation of cable?

> Not just allows, but the politicians crafted legislation
> that made it possible for the congloms to use the
> popularity of their broadcast content as a major
> negotiating tool to take over most of the content
> delivered by the multi-channel systems.

"The politicians crafted"?

Craig, this is pure free enterprise at work. The congloms have the
popular content. The cable companies want lots of subscribers. The two
will naturally work together to the biggest mutual benefit.

Therefore, congloms will offer as much bundled programming as cable
companies can fit, and cable companies will opt for subscription models
that minimize their own administrative costs.

In spite of your constant refrain, the simple fact is that the US public
has overwhelmingly accepted this formula, and that therefore there is NO
REASON to expect the cable companies to change anything.

Oh, except for any govt regulation that might be introduced, as you are
now proposing?