[opendtv] Re: News: Fox News Wants To Double License Fees

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 08:25:47 -0500

John Willkie wrote:

> Craig and I differ on this point, but I get my assertions from the Wall
> Street Journal.
>
> The average cable bill contains $5 - $6 per month that goes directly for
> sports programming.  ESPNs get more than $5 of that amount.
>
> And, those are historical, not leading, figures.
>
> I've been saying for years that sports on cable needed to become a separate
> tier.

I'm currently paying $5 per month for POKER. Yes, poker.
I'm addicted to poker, and on Dish the only way for me to get
my fill from Fox Sports is to pay for the "multi-sport package",
because by "local" sports net is Comcast Sports Chicago.
I do watch some stuff on Comcast, however.

I also pay  extra to Dish for the "second tier" of regular programming,
which gives me as far as I Can tell, two or three stations:
Fox News, which should be basic, since CNN is, SpeedTV, and IFC.

Doug McDonald