[opendtv] Re: re-encoding

  • From: "Gary Hughes" <ghughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:40:19 -0400

In essence it allows all of the information embodied in the MPEG
headers to travel along with the uncompressed frame. If you think
of this information as a record of the decisions made by the encoder
then it should be possible for a suitable encoder to read this data
and re-encode an unmodified frame, making the same decisions and
recreating the same compressed frame (subject to DCT math errors etc).

Or to take a modified frame with the knowledge of what was modified
and how it was previously encoded to optimise the re-encode.

It is a neat idea. I'm surprised it didn't find more applications.

gary

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain =
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this =
email message is addressed. If you have received this email message in =
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and =
destroy the original message without making a copy. Thank you.