[opendtv] Re: News: FCC Takes Flak Over Flag

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:40:29 -0700

Tom, court cases aren't places for political spin, so Tivo is likely to be
irrelevant.  Also, it may be headed to court, but that doesn't mean that
millions of units will be built in the mean time that don't permit
retransmission.

Speaking of cost, this is an issue that I have to deal with in my hardware,
since the latest and greatest will have a tuner, and will process (although
not output outside the box) elementary streams.

Also, don't hold your breath on your view prevailing in court.  There is a
slim to none chance that the broadcast flag ruling will be overturned.
There aren't any free speech issues at play (the content is not owned by
consumers/viewers) and fair use is a defense in prosecutions/suits, not a
badge of honor to overturn a well-reasoned decision.

Also: please note, while I am selling equipment that implements the flag at
broadcast stations, I was not in favor of the ruling.  But, I can live with
it.  (Heck, it doesn't even apply to me personally, since I live a few
hundred meters outside U.S. jurisdiction.)