[opendtv] Re: News: Apple's television could offer superior

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:19:40 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Mike, tell me this. Why can't a TV be built to browse the web as
>> easily as your iPad or Kindle Fire can?

> The answer is that it is possible to put the hardware into a TV to do
> this - or just a cheap box that connects via HDMI like the Roku and
> current Apple TV.

Again, you're requiring a separate STB when none is necessary. Same as you did
in the early days of the DTV transition.

I'd like to point out that one of the reports out of CES this year was that
STBs are disappearing. There's was even a TV with built-in DBS receiver.
Internet is no different.

> But that does not solve the human interface problems, not to mention
> the issues with different screen resolutions, screen sizes and
> viewing distances.

Don't go overboard, Craig. All these matters are very easy to solve. A built-in
Internet browser can trivially solve the problem of screen resolution, because
it is dedicated to that TV screen. And viewing distances are treated the same
as always.

The human interface is not so hard to deal with either. You can make it to
emulate a pad, or you can make it more standard PC-like, or the CE vendors can
dream up something else again. In practice, I repeat, you can "channel surf"
using only the mouse, once your bookmarks are set up.

For example, if the CE vendor wanted to, he could present the bookmarks as an
on-screen menu, that the user could navigate with a standard TV remote. There
are any number of possibilities here, that DO NOT require all the vendors to
flock to Google, to become dependent on their search engine or browser or
potential for their own pop-up ads, and to irritate the content owners.

>> I just can't understand why everybody becomes a luddite when they
>> watch TV.
>
> Because that is what TV is all about.

That was a rhetorical point I was making. Let me restate it for you:

I can't understand why we are made to believe that the same people who are
perfectly capable of browsing the web on PCs, pads, or smart phones, suddenly
become incompetent and unable to browse the web when watching TV. I don't buy
it. There's something else going on here, as in underhanded agreements, once
again.