[opendtv] Re: News: A Radio Giant Moves to Limit Commercials

  • From: "Skip Pizzi" <skippiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:09:21 -0700

        > Could this be a reaction to satellite radio? The iPod?

Yes, and yes (and to a lesser extent, to Internet radio).

        > Looks like a little competition could be a very good thing.=20

Right; but also, somewhat ironically, a little (well, a lot) of
_consolidation_ goes a long way here, too. To break the inertia and take
this very difficult first step effectively, it really takes an operator
with the size and clout of Clear Channel to set the whole industry in
this unnatural direction (as the article notes near the end). But, of
course, it would never have happened at all without satellite radio's
success, along with an observation of terrestrial radio trends, in which
the only sector experiencing strong growth is non-commercial radio
(i.e., public radio).

It will be interesting, however, to see what effect (in isolation) this
action actually has. My sense is that the commercial overload is only
part of radio's problem, and that the _programming_ content of satellite
and public terrestrial radio is just as much a factor. The appeal of
broader content (stimulated again by the high access to on-line music
sources by younger audiences) on these other services is a powerful
draw, and that U.S. commercial radio with somewhat fewer commercials --
but all else held equal -- will still suffer erosion to alternative
services.

There is a much smaller trend among a very few commercial stations to
reverse the programming direction, as well, with more and varied music,
and DJs actually talking about the music and artists (what a concept!).
But without an operation like Clear Channel endorsing this trend, it is
likely to have only very localized and fragmented traction.
Nevertheless, both these trends are a good start toward revitalizing
U.S. terrestrial radio, and not a moment too soon. Time will tell if
they are adequate, or if it's already too little too late.

--SP