[opendtv] Re: NAB instructions for the switch to DTV

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:36:56 -0400

What broadcasters are doing and their NAB is doing makes perfect sense
to me. They want as many people as possible to access their "free
content" via a gatekeeper that pays them a fee per subscriber.

With that in mind they want to advertise the digital transition as
little as possible, as late as possible and to the smallest number of
essential viewers as possible. If they could say that OTA was ONLY for
those with old analog sets and only SD I think they would do that.

Of course they have a conundrum since to keep their licenses and the
must carry that comes with them they need enough viewers to keep
Congress from selling off their spectrum from under them.

Bob Miller

P.S. I see that Lin Broadcasting sold off their 700 MHz licenses for
one third of what they are worth today pre 2008 auction or $32
million. In my Blue book anyway their licenses are worth $107 million
today, $320 million at auction next year and at least $1 billion
within three years of the end of that auction. These licenses cost Lin
$6.2 million.