[opendtv] Re: NAB, MSTV applaud FCC must-carry proposal for DTV transition

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:06:47 -0700

So, it "looks like" the FCC is proposing something that has been required by
law since 1992?  (Note the passive voice hiding a misreading.)  I think the
FCC is better off following the Communications Act rather than proposing
rules in violation of it.

The way that "a consumer" can opt out of paying for broadcast signals on
cable is to opt for satellite, where the broadcast channels are optional.
Kinda funny that more than 96% of dbs customers opt for local into local,
and should I point out that local into local SUPERCHARGED DBS subscriptions?

I concede this situation creates an unfair playing field vis a vis cable and
DBS.  The solution is to make both ala-carte.

What's funny is how that will kill the cable model.  So, cable firms, please
push for not being required to carry ota signals, and the most likely
outcome (See Commissioner J. Adelstein's comments on this topic) will be
cable ala carte.

John Willkie