[opendtv] Re: My first dtv converter box

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:29:13 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> I visited my mom for Easter.   During the winter season she
> lives off in the boonies in central Florida, away from most
> everything.  She has Dish TV but uses a small second TV with
> a whip antenna to get a somewhat snowy picture on one channel
> in the bedroom.

Tom, did you run tvfool to see what the signal strength is?

From tvfool, it seems that a snowy NTSC picture can be possible with
quite low signal strength. Coupled with the fact that DTV stations are
considerably less strong than analog stations, I would guess you're at
the low end of what's acceptable.

In my case, I seem to do well with signal strengths (according to
tvfool) down to -97.4 dBm, and not quite well at -102.2 dBm. Don't know
whether the receive antenna gain is what's making this possible, or
whether there's just some systematic error in the tvfool model. In
short, though, you should not expect good reception of anything weaker
than -85 dBm, with the best receivers.

Also, from blogs I've seen, not all CECBs are created equal. The
Magnavox, for example, which is readily available at WalMart, turns out
to be one of the worst for sensitivity. (What a crime to make the one
box that's most available one of the worst ones.)