[opendtv] Re: More Questions

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:36:14 -0500

At 4:55 PM -0800 11/17/05, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>Thanks Mark!
>
>I have some other questions, if you, or anyone else, is willing.
>
>SMPTE 292M is an HD-SDI format that will transport 1.5Gbps.  Is this
>resolution dependant, or just a transport for formats such as SMPTE 296M
>and SMPTE 274M?

Mark has already gone through the math for the two most demanding HD
formats used in the ATSC system, but 292M can do many other tricks.
In essence, 292M is one of the first SMPTE standards to decouple the
transport from the payload. Earlier standards such as SMPTE-259 are
synchronous digital transports including the blanking intervals and
specific timing references that must occur at the right moment in
time.

With 292M we have moved into the real digital era, where the
transport is just a big bit bucket that can carry anything that will
fit. Thus you can also transport 720@30P, 720 @24P, 1080@30P,
108@24P, by padding out the packets that are not used; or you could
move them at 2X real time, or move virtually any digital file across
the transport at ~1.5 Gbps. We also have many examples of using dual
292M links to transport more information - for example some of the
digital cinema cameras use dual links to transport 1920 x 1080 full
bandwidth RGB  signals to disk storage.