[opendtv] More Questions

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:55:40 -0800

Thanks Mark!

I have some other questions, if you, or anyone else, is willing.

SMPTE 292M is an HD-SDI format that will transport 1.5Gbps.  Is this
resolution dependant, or just a transport for formats such as SMPTE 296M
and SMPTE 274M?

If I do my math right, 1920x1080x3colorsx10 bitsx30P is more than 1.5Gbps,
even without overhead.  There must be something I have wrong; perhaps there
are only 8 bits per sample or is compression involved?  If I remember
right, that is a format on the ATSC table.

I really would like to purchase the CD-ROM from SMPTE with the standards
but the administration bucks me for every dollar.  Do you know of any good
free sources (websites or such) that have in depth details?  I have the 9th
edition of the NAB Handbook (1999), but the technology is changing so fast,
I find it is already behind the times.

I notice AES3 specifies balanced 110 ohm connections.  What is the
designation for the 75 ohm unbalanced version?

Will AES have a format that will provide 8 channels in the near future?  It
seems like if you can build an infrastructure that will do 1.5Gbs, why not
multiplex all those surround sound channels into one bit stream.  It would
make sense to me to use one cable for one source, no matter how many
channels the source had.  As it looks now, I need four cables for one
source since most of the recording devices have 8 channels.

Let me know if I am pestering this forum by asking such questions.

Dan

                      Mark Schubin

                      <tvmark@earthlink        To:       opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      .net>                    cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [opendtv] Re: Display
Resolutions
                      opendtv-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      11/17/2005 03:51

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      opendtv

1280x1024 is SXGA.

1024x1024, especially with non-square pixel spacing, has no official
designation.

1280x720 may be called SMPTE 296M.
1920x1080 may be called SMPTE 274M

There may be some consumer-electronics standard for 852x480, but I'm not
familiar with it.  It is the square-resolution 16:9 480-line standard.

TTFN,
Mark

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>I would like to get some information on display resolutions, if anyone can
>help.
>
>I know the following about computer resolutions:
>VGA=640x480
>SVGA=800x600
>XGA=1024x768
>WXGA=1366x768
>UXGA=1600x1200
>WUXGA=1920x1080
>QXSGA=2560x2048
>
>All but WXGA and WUXGA are 4:3 (I presume the "W" means wide for a 16:9
>aspect ratio).
>
>Is there a term for 1280x720?
>
>How about for all the other resolutions like 858x480, 1024x1024 (although
>not a square screen), and 1280x1020?

-- Type: image/gif
-- File: graycol.gif

-- Type: image/gif