[opendtv] Re: More Are Watching Internet Video on Actual TVs, Research Shows

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 16:20:07 -0500

If so, then it would behoove the TV networks to get their act together, when it
comes to their ads.

I've found that Hulu does a good job, overall. Hulu was also the first to
support IE9 and the then-current Flash Player correctly. All of the TV network
sites were amazingly slow to react. For whatever reason, whether it was Flash
or whether it was the network servers I don't know, it took months, not just by
days, before the networks' own sites were viewable on IE9/Flash.

And all of the networks seem incapable of showing their ads consistently well.
Often, the stupid ad gets you off full screen mode, so you have to screw with
that at the end of the ad. Sometimes, the stupid ads run over the show, where
the show has resumed while the stupid ad is taking up the screen, and mixing
its audio with the show. Other times, the ad remains blank. Or the mouse
freezes after the ad quits and the show resumes.

All manner of incompetence is apparent with online shows. Would be most unusual
to see this type of behavior on OTA transmissions. And yet, I go online
regularly now, for the non-live shows. I also check the Adobe site obsessively,
to download the latest Flash Player as soon as it is available (before getting
the automatic announcement).