[opendtv] Re: Millennials Reconnect the Cable Cord as Children Arrive - The New York Times

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 08:21:39 -0400

On Oct 4, 2015, at 9:34 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Not quite the sky is falling scenario Bert paints.

I think it's funny how Craig slips up time and again, showing that he's a
mouthpiece for MVPDs. Hey Craig, when have I ever said the sky is falling?
I've consistently said that TV is getting better. The "sky is falling" if
there's more TV choice and less collusion? How so?

Seriously?

You tell us that people are cutting or shaving the cord en mass, despite the
fact that the number of cord cutters is only a few percent.

You tell us that more than half of all TV viewing is now online, when in
reality it is 23% or less.

You tell us that you can access a world of TV content for free via the
Internet, when in reality you get the table scraps because you choose not to
pay for TV.

As I just noted in another thread, the ability to access the ever expanding
world of TV content is certainly changing. You may choose to characterize this
as more choice, however, as the Times articles clearly stated, it is just
improved access to the same sources, thanks to technical evolution.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/business/media/changing-media-consumption-millenials-cord-cutters.html

The article makes it abundantly clear that millenials still living with their
parents continue to use their parents' MVPD. But:

On their own without kids: 75%

On their own with kids: 80%

The old generations: 89%

Not sure why you chose to highlight these stats, which I pointed out already as
evidence that you are clueless about the level of cord cutting.

The phenomenon of cord cutting and shaving has not suddenly stopped, Craig.
As broadband proliferates, the article implies pretty clearly, in the last
two paragraphs I copied, the trend will continue.

"About 80 percent of millennials with their own homes who have started
families subscribe to cable, and an additional 14 percent get television with
an antenna, according to Nielsen. Only 6 percent have just broadband
connected to a television set."

"Among millennials with children, lower adoption of broadband and streaming
video services correlates with lower income and living in smaller towns or
rural areas, where digital services may not be optimal."

"In any case, cord-cutting accelerated during the second quarter this year,
industry analysts say. So it is still unclear whether digitally astute
millennials who want to have children will find it necessary to subscribe to
a traditional service, particularly as the number of streaming alternatives
explodes. Outlets like Netflix and Amazon are pouring resources into
acquiring and developing exclusive children's series, knowing that can lure
parents to subscribe."

No sky falling, Craig.

Just the same sources upgrading the way they distribute the same content via a
superior medium.

You are correct that the sky is not falling. If anything the fortunes of the
oligopolistic are improving. So it would be refreshing if you would stop trying
to play games with statistics in a vain attempt to prove that what is happening
now is anything other than evolutionary.

The same conglomerates are controlling the evolution to Internet distribution,
and increasing their profits, offering more focused services to appeal to
different sub markets and demographic groups.