[opendtv] Re: Market forces

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 20:30:47 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> My bad. I meant NCTA. Obviously the CEA was interested in making
> new TVs "digital cable ready."

You were right originally too, though. That's the point. The CEA *did* oppose
the "tuner mandate." Leaving little doubt in my mind who was lining their
pockets. Take a look at this again, from 2003:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/exhibitions-&-events/0109/court-upholds-fcc-tuner-mandate/188198

> As for profiting from the inclusion of an ATSC tuner, there is no
> "there" there. The cost for the requisite chip may be relatively
> low today, but it is encumbered by very large royalties.

Doubtful, to say the least. That fear mongering never panned out. Royalties and
all the rest amounted to insignificance by 2007, when we compared the prices of
equivalent monitors and TVs at the time. And if the "mandate" had occurred from
the start, as it should have done, the "insignificance" would have happened
earlier on.

> If there was/is a market for FOTA tuners, the marketplace would
> have responded appropriately.

You seem to forget how digital OTA TV was a best-kept secret in those days. The
broadcasters and just about everyone else involved, except the FCC, seemed
hell-bent to keep it that way. So the public wasn't about to protest against a
problem they didn't even know was going to exist. Eventually, they did pick up
interest, but that more like June 12, 2009, rather than the blissful ignorance
they were made to enjoy, by all the players, back in 2003 when the FCC finally
took action.

> It is the younger generation that is hooked on the glamour and
> glitz of the entertainment industry.

True, but at the same time, cable cutters are predominantly in the "under 45"
(but out of the parents' house) age group. So something has changed.