[opendtv] Re: Marcus: TWC OK With OTT | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 00:45:32 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> So now the CEO of Time Warner addresses some of Bert's concerns:

> We've been articulating for quite some time that we thought that delivering
> video with a greater degree of flexibility would be very customer friendly,"
> Marcus said at the UBS Global Media & Communications conference in New York
> Monday. "Whether that is flexibility around devices, place- shifting,
> time-shifting , or flex in the way we package video services so we could make
> different customer demands. To the extent any of these recent announcements
> are reflective of programmers' greater willingness to play ball on that
> front, greater willingness to explore new models, we're in.
>
> So what is he saying Bert?
>
> The answer is obvious. The content conglomerate dictates to the MVPDs
> what they must carry, including the placement of channels within the
> channel lineup and tiers.
>
> Clearly Marcus would like the flexibility to offer different bundles
> if the content owners will allow this; but the recent deal between
> CBS and Dish appears to be more of the same, so Marcus may be
> waiting awhile.

First off, Craig, you are referring to the CEO of Time Warner Cable, not Time
Warner. So, the CEO of an MVPD, not the CEO of a conglom or content-owning
enterprise.

So sure, MVPD middlemen have their hands tied, as long as they are operating
under that guise. That is why I've been concentrating on what the content
owners are thinking and doing, as opposed to what they will allow their MVPD
middlemen to get away with.

The Internet, a two-way medium, many-to-many, allows the content owners to go
beyond JUST giving their MVPD middlemen more bundling flexibility. You seem to
miss that the monopolistic pipe model is no longer technically mandatory, and
therefore people can think beyond it. It is when content owners enlist other
middlemen, or establish their own portals, that we see their understanding of
this new reality.

And of course, the DBS middlemen, not having the parallel role of ISP to fall
back on, are more proactive in reinventing themselves.