[opendtv] Marcus: TWC OK With OTT | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 06:25:58 -0500

So now the CEO of Time Warner addresses some of Bert's concerns:

> We’ve been articulating for quite some time that we thought that delivering
> video with a greater degree of flexibility would be very customer friendly,”
> Marcus said at the UBS Global Media & Communications conference in New York
> Monday. “Whether that is flexibility around devices, place- shifting,
> time-shifting , or flex in the way we package video services so we could make
> different customer demands. To the extent any of these recent announcements
> are reflective of programmers’ greater willingness to play ball on that
> front, greater willingness to explore new models, we’re in.

So what is he saying Bert?

The answer is obvious. The content conglomerate dictates to the MVPDs what they
must carry, including the placement of channels within the channel lineup and
tiers.

Clearly Marcus would like the flexibility to offer different bundles if the
content owners will allow this; but the recent deal between CBS and Dish
appears to be more of the same, so Marcus may be waiting awhile.

As for the cord cutters, Marcus does not seem to be worried:

> “I tend to focus more on our traditional competition than I do on the threat
> from OTT,” Marcus said. “There is no question that there is some element of
> cord-cutting out in the universe, but I don’t think it is having anywhere
> near the impact that  losing customers to traditional competitors has on our
> lives day to day. …We are confident about the value proposition we offer on
> the video side and we’re getting more confident as we enhance the product
> with a better guide, more VOD, improvements to our TWCTV app. We think we can
> compete with any variation on the video theme.”

http://www.multichannel.com/news/news-articles/marcus-twc-ok-with-ott

Marcus: TWC OK With OTT

Time Warner Cable chairman and CEO Rob Marcus said at an industry conference
that if recent over-the-top video offerings lead to more flexibility in
programming contracts, he’s all for it.

Recently, Home Box Office and CBS have announced plans for an online video
product that doesn’t require a pay TV subscription and others are expected to
follow. While Marcus wouldn’t comment on those products specifically, he said
if it means that programmers are beginning to loosen the reins on some
programming issues, it could lead to overall growth in the video product.

“We’ve been articulating for quite some time that we thought that delivering
video with a greater degree of flexibility would be very customer friendly,”
Marcus said at the UBS Global Media & Communications conference in New York
Monday. “Whether that is flexibility around devices, place- shifting,
time-shifting , or flex in the way we package video services so we could make
different customer demands. To the extent any of these recent announcements are
reflective of programmers’ greater willingness to play ball on that front,
greater willingness to explore new models, we’re in.”

Marcus didn’t seem to be worried about the potential that these services and
other over-the-top offerings from Sony, Verizon and Dish Network could have in
luring away pay TV customers. He said that right now, his focus is on
traditional competitors like satellite TV and telco TV.

“I tend to focus more on our traditional competition than I do on the threat
from OTT,” Marcus said. “There is no question that there is some element of
cord-cutting out in the universe, but I don’t think it is having anywhere near
the impact that  losing customers to traditional competitors has on our lives
day to day. …We are confident about the value proposition we offer on the video
side and we’re getting more confident as we enhance the product with a better
guide, more VOD, improvements to our TWCTV app. We think we can compete with
any variation on the video theme.”

 To that end, Marcus said that subscriber metrics have been strong and that
Time Warner Cable has every intention of growing video subscribers in 2015.