[opendtv] Re: [MPEG] Re: Growing uncomfortable with Samsung

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 05:23:13 -0800

What exactly do you mean by "fully conformant"? That an
MPEG-2 decoder should be able to decode /any/ resolution
(for example 592x480 in MP@ML) within the level it's built
for? I don't believe there's a hardware decoder on the planet
that can do that. Nobody in their right mind is going to put all
the required multi-tap upsampling filters into their design to
accomplish that.

Or do you mean the de facto standard horizontal resolutions
of 352, 480, (528 for cable), 544, 640, 704, 720 for SD and
1280, 1440 and 1920 for HD? I don't know where the de facto
horizontal resolutions came from. Certainly not MPEG-2. I'll make
a WAG and say that DirecTV played the biggest part in selecting
the SD resolutions.

Ron