[opendtv] Future Proof DTV System for the Country (was Re: 5th gen receivers)

Kon,

Been there, done that.  Two (or three or four?) NABs ago, JVC demoed 720p60
as the main channel and 480i30 as a sub channel.  Worked just fine.  My
community routinely compresses 720p60 down to 9.25Mbps (the ceiling on a
common data channel).  Since so much of prime time TV is 24p based (film or
soon electronic), one could with good preprocessing put TWO 720p24 channels
in a single ATSC stream (that is, if you could receive it).

You don't need MPEG-4, Part 2.  What a waste of time and money.  The next
leapfrog event is H.264 (MPEG-4, Part 10).  I forsee a future when you
could put TWO 720p60 high quality programs in a single 18Mbps channel using
H.264.

We COULD have a DTV system based on COFDM modulation, Dolby sound, H.264 /
MPEG-2, a PSIP that works, friendly IP carriage.  That would be an
effective, future proof DTV system for the country.

Stephen