[opendtv] L band

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:55:04 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> The FCC is taking comments on their proposal to
> sell of the L Band frequencies that are curently
> used for NASA's GOES Weather Satellites.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-10-1035A1.pdf

Interesting. I wonder how they intend to manage its use, since they seem to
acknowledge that at least some of the time, that 1675 to 1720 MHz band would be
needed by the weather satellites.

It's interesting that parts of the L band are also used by the Euro DAB system.
I would think that if you're looking for wireless broadband spectrum, you're
better off using the existing FM band for digital radio than anything in the L
band, which makes a case for IBOC/HD Radio.

Also, Commissioner Clyburn made a pitch for HD radio to community broadcasters,
a couple of days ago:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-298738A1.pdf

"A second area that may represent an opportunity for community broadcasters is
HD radio. Now I understand that limited receiver penetration and the cost of
digital transmission equipment may make owning an HD Radio station an
unappealing option for community radio groups. However, in addition to current
NCE FM new station licensing efforts and the upcoming LPFM window, HD can
provide yet another way to promote broadcast diversity and expanded programming
options.

"Based on the Commission’s 2007 order, we have imposed virtually no limits on
the use of HD-2 and HD-3 channels. And the FCC’s Media Bureau routinely permits
FM translators to rebroadcast these channels. No prior staff approval is
required.

"In my view, NFCB should explore with its members the possibility of entering
into partnerships with commercial and NCE stations to program HD-2 and HD-3
channels, and to acquire or enter into agreements to use translators to
rebroadcast community station programming as analog signals. These are avenues
that can expand your reach or create space for new stations simply looking for
their first opportunities to get out there."

Now that there are very cheap and very low-power receiver chips out there for
HD Radio, I can't understand what the hold-up is to get them out to the public,
including in car systems, as standard equipment. And the chips are also
compatible with DAB and other digital radio standards. What's the problem?