[opendtv] Re: Is this Apple's iTV?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 12:43:14 -0400

Craig Wrote:

Which suggests something that is very important about video. In most cases it's NOT about the resolution, its about the story. The brain can only keep up with so much information in real time; there is a huge difference between the amount of information in motion imagery, and how we comprehend it, versus the ability to study a highly detailed still image or page of text.

At 12:41 PM -0400 3/17/12, John Shutt wrote:
I violently disagree. This was all studied, hashed over, and fixed in the 1980s when electronic cinema production first came out with Sony's HDVS 1125i system.

My Bad. I did not distinguish between 24P film content and higher frame rate video.
Actually we are in violent agreement.

People "expect" a film to have a certain "look," and when it doesn't then they are so distracted by the different look that they cannot suspend disbelief and get lost in the movie.

Yup. and this look also is based in large measure on depth of field considerations, where only the stuff the director and cinematographer want you to see is reasonably sharp.

Clearly "video" and "film" have their own looks and probably always will.

What is common to both, however, is that the human visual system cannot comprehend all the details that are presented. TV has traditionally been different in that it was a "small screen" experience, where the entire image was no larger than the fovea, where high resolution image perception takes place. In the theater, the image extends well into the low resolution receptors located outside the fovea, so visual search and eye tracking are a significant factor. With HDTV at the proper viewing distance, we now have video that may require search and eye tracking.

The reason this is relevant is what I was trying to get at in the paragraph that started this message. It is essentially impossible for the human visual system to perceive all the detail in motion imagery. We tend to focus on the most important parts of the image and do not perceive much detail in the rest.

Now apply this to the Ars Technica comparison of Blu-Ray image quality versus the 1080P streams from Apple's iTunes movie service. Most of the differences they illustrate involve detail in areas of the image that one would not be paying much attention to. For example the details in the telephone poles that the car is driving past, and the quantizing artifacts in portions of the cloudy sky.

The new iPAD has the ability to reproduce whatever is decoded from a compressed image stream without compromise, because the display capability exceeds that for the video formats.

On the other hand, many forms of imagery have more detail and a wider color gamut than video. Thus when viewing a web page or a digital photo, the retina display can present more detail and a wider color gamut than a TV.

Makes one wonder if Apple is planning to introduce a "Retina iTV..."