[opendtv] Re: Internet Patent Claims Stir Concern

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:30:12 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> Bert  -
>
> You seem to be responding as if the article was about
> not-for-free web
> services.  But it is about silly patents on Internet related ideas.
>
> There is a major land grab going on now in the space of ideas.  It is
> best conceptualized by a chapter title in law professor
> Jessica Litman's
> excellent book "Digital Copyright" which referred to the saga as
> something like "Lawyers set out to conquer cyberspace".

Yeah, I had misread the piece.

Not sure how companies can make these claims when the technology
is covered in IETF RFCs. A few years ago, I got a call from a
company in the UK claiming that we owed them royalties for using
FDDI in our stuff. I don't know what came of it, because I
happily handed that hot potato to the legal types. But the claim
sounded absurd to me.