[opendtv] Re: Insignia brand D/A converter audio output

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:44:34 -0400

Cliff Benham wrote:

>> It looks like this STB does indeed have an internal volume
>> control, and that it needs to be set to near max output
>> level, with volume otherwise controlled with the TV's or
>> audio system's volume control.

> Some consumers do read and heed the 'No user-servicable
> parts inside' warning lables. Not everyone is technically
> inclined or willing to risk voiding the manufacturer's
> warranty by opening the box.
>
> Also, this comes under the heading of something that
> 'should just work'.

I'm talking about a user setting.

Of all the source devices I have in my stereo system now, and this
includes source devices I had in the past as well, i.e. two radio
tuners, various TVs, DVDR/PVR, three previous VCRs, two previous DVD
players, previous CD player, and the Accurian STB, only a couple of the
older TVs had a user-adjustable audio output level. And that was obvious
from the remote control. So it's not surprising to me that someone just
setting up an STB which does have a volume control setting might not
realize this.

As I said, the Digital Stream HD3150plus we have upstairs has a volume
setting, but you need to find it in the right menu. It's not obvious.

If line level outputs from a box are way out of line with that of all
other components, rather than assume the box was designed by some moron,
a more likely explanation would be operator error or a fault with that
particular sample.